11 August 2009

Entre' ensues


Each day brings new opportunities to connect with the community. Sometimes such occasions are not entirely happy for many various reasons. Today I was introduced onto the Maungatautari marae. A fine gentleman passed away after some time of suffering a debilitating disease and medical condition. He is a member of my church- and with his passing and by way of connection with a mutual friend- I came to the marae as a friend and fellow church member to mourn with those that mourn. This week Thursday I will attend his tangi at the marae. Overall the tangi funeral ceremony is quite touching and much as been written about in NZ anthropology. Some focus has been on its tradition of the complete family gathering from all over, to stay on the marae and mourn together for days on end and the amount of food and resources expended throughout the entire tangi. The official ceremony wherein burial takes place will likely be this week Thursday and as appropriate will last as long or as short as it needs. I hope to find out more about the gentleman and what his life's accomplishments were. I do know that he and his wife did serve a temple mission to the NZ temple outside of Hamilton.

Today however was an opportunity to pay our respects. I introduced myself, telling of where I have come from, my connection to them and my overall reason for coming to NZ- to study the community in regards to their mountain ecological island project. They were quite polite and warm. After a welcome speech in Maori, they also sang to us,
after which we introduced ourselves and sang a song as well. They invited us to have lunch with them- which was great- a baked egg quiche and mashed potatoes. The conversation within the wharenui (meeting house on the marae) and in the eating hall, covered a few topics, including their mountain and the project. Theirs is the hapu who lent 2/3 of the project's total land area. One very nice woman was visibly proud and exuberant concerning the project. She recalled that as a child she enjoyed the sound of kiwi birds on the mountain and she very much looks forward to hearing them there again.

The occassion serves as an
entre' vehicle to a certain degree- albeit within a mixed-emotion occasion. To briefly explain, many believe in the resurrection and in a reunion with one's ancestors following death. Thus, the passing of a loved one embodies both loss and joy. My hosts- the family and extended family members (though here I suspect they make no such distinction)- extended a warm welcome to myself, a complete stranger, amidst their grief. The people, the marae, and the meal together was most enjoyable. I hope to have made many new friends and I look forward to being with them again.

No comments: